my word

read and enjoy what God is teaching me everyday as I strive to be an imiator of him and as I long to live life to the fullest until the day that I will stand...no lie facedown...before my King, my Father. "Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy." ~ 1 Peter 1:8

Friday, September 23, 2005

Love your neighbor as yourself

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." Matthew 22:36-40

commandment - An authoritative indication to be obeyed

It doesn't just merely suggest we follow these two things; God COMMANDS us to. But yet we hold back from fully doing so, from fully completely 2 commandments. Why is it so hard to follow these edicts? I don't know.

I was caught by the second one the most today. During breakfast and my first class it was all I could think about. "Love your neighbor as yourself" The question comes to mind, how do I love myself?

~ Before making any decisions I think how I profit
~ During all situations I consider myself first
~ before doing anything I consider the pros/cons for myself
~ During the day I think about myself
~ when I read a bible verse I contemplate what it has to do with me
~ I try to surround myself with only people I like
~ If I get bored of a conversation I leave
~ I go to things only if I want to
~ I get frustrated when others aren't on time with my schedule, I think my time is more valuable than anybody else
~ I try to fix myself before helping others
~ I want people to listen to me when I have something to say but won't listen to others when they have something to say
~ I want people to care about my passions but I don't care about others'

I could go on but I would just become more disgusted with myself and I would never get around to a solution. The list above aren't all bad but where your heart that is where the problems occur. When you go about the day is your heart on yourself or on the people God wants your heart to me on. I'm no scholar or even a great mind. But I do desire to follow God's commandments. I can't grasp the solution without God so from here I will just pray. A prayer for you and me, a prayer that God will guide us on how to love one another as ourselves, a prayer to left the veil from our eyes, a prayer to continue to recognize our imperfect selves and a prayer to be filled with the spirit at all times.

God Bless my brothers and sisters
Happy Birthday Eddie and Jen

No comments: