my word

read and enjoy what God is teaching me everyday as I strive to be an imiator of him and as I long to live life to the fullest until the day that I will stand...no lie facedown...before my King, my Father. "Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy." ~ 1 Peter 1:8

Friday, October 14, 2005

Missions!

There is something about the word that both excites me and terrifies me. The thrill of traveling and sharing the gospel in a new place. But yet the fear that I'll be persecuted or unprepared. Cast all your anxieties on him. As Jesus looked at the Joy set before him, let us look at the joy set before us! Doing God's will that is our mission. Here is some news that hit me, we are already on the mission field! Called to share his word, keep his praise on our lips, walk in his light, train ourselves in his word, pray always and trust him entirely.

"Missions in other countries aren't for me, that is for somebody else to do, but that's okay because I'll pray for them" These words are my own, If I was asked why I don't want to go to another country for mission work this would have been my answer.

1. How do I know it's not for me?
2. Who is this somebody else? If everybody said this than who would actually go
3. How much do I really pray for other mission trips? really? Don't I often pray for myself, than friends and family, and than whatever big event is happening, and than ... How often do I pray for the world? And when I do, how often are they small prayers and mostly only when something big happens? If I'm going to use pray as an excuse than I need to really pray.

Here is a thought that struck me last night. What if we switiched everything, flipped it all around. What if we saw the states as just another country! Imagine if you were in Pakistan right now, or wherever. Imagine you lived there all your life and somebody asked you to go on a mission trip to the US. Would you go? and if so why? Is it the worldly luxuries, the comforts, the lack of persecution, the chance to live a "good" christian life and not to be living day by day trusting God for every need.

"Some do have to stay in the US" Okay. But what makes you think that is where God wants you? Rather than waiting for the call to go on a mission trip how about we wait on a call to stay. If God wants you to stay than he'll stop you from going. For me I'm planning to go. I don't know yet where but out of here.

Here is another thought. America has heard the gospel. Wouldn't it be a big testimony if we left to go on a mission trip, leaving behind the comforts of the states. Trully living for God that is my desire.

The end of my ramblings, But if you really want to know what God has in store for your life ask him and read his word.

This verse grabbed me:
"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!" Romans 10:14-15

No comments: