my word

read and enjoy what God is teaching me everyday as I strive to be an imiator of him and as I long to live life to the fullest until the day that I will stand...no lie facedown...before my King, my Father. "Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy." ~ 1 Peter 1:8

Friday, April 29, 2005

I will always have Joy

When I wrote that phrase on Joy's, my betta fish, tank I think apart of me thought she would live a long time. But a greater part of me wrote it because I will always have Joy, in Christ. "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

The reason I'm writing this blog is because my dear betta fish has passed on to the porcelain throne. Some become depressed when death passes their way but I'm choosing Joy and Freedom and Peace because that is what it is promised to me. Her passing has brought me peace and has taught many lessons about this life and has reminded me of the freedom I have in Christ. All of these inturn brought me closer to God and I am thankful and Joyful!

I was anguishing over her illness, the past couple of days have been hard on me, watching her slowly die and consequentlly bringing up memories from my past. She was also my first pet. I also was struggling with guilt that I had because I didn't provide her with all the care she needed and because I often ignored her. But there is peace offered in Jesus Christ. "Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way" - 2 Thessalonians 3:16

Her passing taught/reminded me that this life is short. Things of this world really do perish and all the reason to store treasures in Heaven because they are imperishable. Death is scary if you don't have heaven to look forward to. There are other things but they aren't coming to mind.

Looking at her mangled body the past couple of weeks each time as reminded me of Christ's mangled body hanging upon that cross. Joy didn't deserve to be inflicted with this disease because I neglected her and didn't fully care for her. Christ didn't deserve the torture and death that he did endure. "Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men and do not grow weary and lose heart" - Hebrews 12:3 Christ was the ONLY man who walked this world perfectly, the only one who lived a sin free life yet he died for us. so that we could be in heaven. Joy reminded me of his sacrifice and inturn reminded me that I have freedom.

In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?
Psalms 118:5-6

Thanks be to God who loves and protects us. Thank you for that little fish that taught me many things that I still have yet to fully realize. Thank you also for answering my prayer in your time.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you will overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. - Romans 15:13

No comments: