my word

read and enjoy what God is teaching me everyday as I strive to be an imiator of him and as I long to live life to the fullest until the day that I will stand...no lie facedown...before my King, my Father. "Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy." ~ 1 Peter 1:8

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Grandma and Me!



I went to church with my grandma Sunday and then lunch together afterwards. I thought of something I heard from John Piper that before I became Christian somebody maybe many more were praying for me. Because of their faithfulness and even more because of God’s faithfulness I am a Christian, going on 16 months! My grandma was one of those and I know that when I told her last year she rejoiced. Imagine praying for somebody for 18 years and then getting a letter declaring an answer to your prayer. Imagine the joy and I can still see it in her eyes and feel it in her hugs. It was great to sit and chat with my grandma and to go to her church. I remember when I was younger when my brothers and I would stay at my grandparents’ house on the weekend. They would take us to their church. Entering the church this time was totally different because I liked to be there, God’s spirit was in this church. Like my church in Fort Collins this one focuses on the great commission that God has called us to work for. But at the same time when I saw the alter all I could think of was my grandpa’s memorial service. The same screen that we watched old pictures of his life I was reading lyrics about the Hope I have in Christ. Painful but yet joyful. I thought of my recent stroll through the cemetery thinking about the pains of being a widow. Many going years after their spouse has died, years that I imagine are lonely and depressing. But then I think of my grandma and I think of the old lady that has breakfast alone every Saturday morning at Elmers, local breakfast restaurant. You give your heart to somebody and then after 50 years or so you find yourself without them. Nights so sad that you can’t even cry but there is hope. I looked at that alter and read what was written below, “Christ is Lord”. There is our hope, there is their hope and there is the hope that we live everyday for. That hope and joy is reflected in my grandma’s eyes and smile. The same smile that God has blessed me with, like a friend of grandma’s said, “I can tell you gals are related”.

Praise God for my grandma and her faithfulness, praise him for my salvation, praise him for the hope we all have in Christ. Praise Him!

No comments: